You have several serving options with this chili. You could serve it in bowls, topped with a sprinkle of cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh green onions. You could scoop it over freshly baked sweet potato. You could use it to dress up a serving of scrambled eggs. You could serve it, chilled, over a large salad. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
Here’s what you need…
- 6 oz. hot turkey Italian sausage, loose
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar OR honey
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ¼ cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 1 (28oz) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15oz) cans no-salt-added kidney beans, drained
- Sour cream (optional garnish)
- Shredded cheese (optional garnish)
- Green onion (optional garnish)
- Diced tomatoes (optional garnish)
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, ground beef and jalapeno to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder, coconut sugar, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, salt and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with the garnishes.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 284 calories, 1g fat, 79mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 12g fiber, and 16g protein
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!